Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 May 1999 16:14:40 -0400
From:         "Horace K. Sawyer" <firestream@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Octane/Fuel is best?  Pipeline difference, tars
Comments: To: Joel Walker <jwalker@BAMA.UA.EDU>

One of my jobs involves legal action on right of ways for utilities that come through our county.

A representative of a gasoline pipeline company and I were meeting one day and I asked about the logistics of shipping various fuels through his pipeline, just because I was curious. What I learned was interesting!

His company ("they") ships various manufacturer's gasolines. One of them is Amoco. The fuel originates from refineries in Houston, Texas and makes it way to my jurisdiction in north Georgia on its way to whose knows where from there. When they need to ship Premium or regular unleaded, they dump it in in the tube. For a while, there is a mixing of the fuels and a blend is acheived. That mix zone becomes mid-grade unleaded. Imagine that. The blend is subject to being closer or less closer to the advertised octane rating. The same goes for premium -- it is going to contain a mix close to the beginning of the run and the end. Of course, it all ends up in a huge storage tank somewhere at the distribution center where trucks are loaded for daily delivery. The rep's point to me was mid grade unleaded is basically a waste of money!

When they ship Amoco premium, sometimes called "white gas", they go through special procedures (can't remember the details) to make sure the pure grade product is shipped. The rep told me it is the *only* gasoline that is the actual product that is advertised. That's what you get when you see the white gas through the viewing window on the pump handle. Big advertising deal, but apparently there is merit to the idea.

Soooo, moral of the story is, that was enough to convince me to buy Amoco gold from now on so that I know I'm getting the highest quality fuel in a gasoline.

As far as diesel shipping procedures, we had to adjourn before we got to that in detail. I believe he said a separate pipeline (tube) ships diesel, kerosene, and similar fuel oils.

Also, I was advised lower grade octane fuels contain more tars. These tars clog up intake systems and etc that is not as much of a problem with high octane.

So what do you think?

H K Sawyer

------------- 91 Westy several diesels

No financial interest in Amoco.