Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 May 1999 00:14:23 -0400
From:         Shortlidge D Joel <shortlid@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Water in the exhaust
Comments: To: jneal@NETCOM.COM

Thanks, Who in New York would have this magic wand?

On Mon, 24 May 1999 10:35:03 -0700 "Tom L. Neal" <jneal@NETCOM.COM> writes: >Click and Clack suggest waving a smog hydrocarbon sensing rod over >the >expansion tank. If present, exhaust gasses are probably getting into >the coolant. > >Cheers, Tom Neal > >On Mon, 24 May 1999, Dennis Haynes wrote: > >> Usually, if you are leaking water into the cylinders, you will also >be >> leaking combustion gases into the cooling system. This will cause >all sorts >> of cooling system problems. Have the cooling system pressure tested >and >> properly repair all external leaks. Then have the coolant tested >for >> combustion gases. Then you will know whether or not you have a >problem. >> >> Dennis >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Keese, Brian W <bkeese@INDIANA.EDU> >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >> Date: Sunday, May 23, 1999 1:08 PM >> Subject: Water in the exhaust >> >> >> >Hi all, >> >I am new to this list and am already very impressed. >> >I have just bought an 84 Westfalia. It is beautiful and I love it, >but I >> am >> >concerned. It is loosing coolant: in 100 miles it drained the >overflow >> >tank and part of the expansion tank. I smelled the coolant smell >when I >> >turned on the heater and soon found the puddle by the rear heat >exchanger. >> >BARSleak seemed to fix that problem. The water level stayed the >same for a >> >couple of days, but now it has started to go down again. I haven't >had a >> >chance to see if the heater core is leaking again, mostly because I >fear >> >that my real problem is more severe. There is a lot of water in >the >> >exhaust. At times it comes splashing out of the tailpipe. At >first I >> >thought, "Oh it's just water, a natural part of the combustion >process." >> >But I think it is too much. I have read about the head gasket >problem and >> >am afraid that coolant is getting into a combustion chamber around >one of >> >the o-rings. Any advice out there? Or is this a definite >candidate for a >> >head gasket and/or possible head repacement? I really don't want >to tear >> >the engine apart if there is some quicker or easier fix. >> > >> >Any help is greatly appreciated. >> > >> >Brian Keese >> >New 84 Westy owner >> >bkeese@indiana.edu >>

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]