Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 May 1999 08:33:15 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: tranny mount responsibility?
Comments: To: ncdragonfly <ncdragonfly@COMPUSERVE.COM>

Your question, David, is a variant of the classic "Well you tuned up the car last week, how come my alternator is broken now???!!!???"It is a matter of unrealistic expectations, in my opinion.

Yes, a diligent, and smart mechanic will eyeball systems B, C, D, E, and F while he works on system A, and THIS is the type of mechanic that is increasingly hard to find. The agreement between the customer and the mechanic in this case appears to be for a motor rebuild, and that is all he is responsible for.

That bolt could have been loose for weeks prior to the rebuild...you can't expect the mechanic to check, tighten, lube, and verify a variety of systems on each visit. That is why "jiffy Lube" places so much emphasis on their 49-point service check, because THEY know that YOU know that no one else is checking that stuff.

This calls into mind why I think this list is so important. While (as you know) I think Do-It-Yourself repairs are a very costly alternative to professional preventive maintenance...professional PM must be accompanied by a knowledgeable consumer who crawls around under the van from time to time, and inspects the quality of repairs with an educated eye.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: ncdragonfly [SMTP:ncdragonfly@COMPUSERVE.COM] Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 1999 7:46 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: tranny mount responsibility?

Let me preface this inquiry with this statement: I am not a mechanic nor do I play one on TV. I have been able to maintain my vehicles over the years, that is to say I am not completely devoid of mechanical knowledge or aptitude. With that said let me relay the following story: This past weekend we were camping on our land where we are building a log home. A good friend of ours and his two young sons were on their way to camp with us. Last week our friend got his 85 Westfalia back from a shop near his home after 5 months of having the engine rebuilt. He traveled around town last week and felt relatively confident in the vehicle. On their way to our place last Saturday the transmission came loose from the front mount and the engine/tranny dropped to the pavement! Yes, fell out on the road. Very fortunately he was down shifting at an intersection and traveling at a very slow rate of speed as I am afraid if he had been traveling at highway speeds he and the kids would be dead and a beautiful '85 would be scrap metal. When I got to him and we crawled underneath the vehicle we saw that the +/- 4 inch bolt that holds the front tranny mount to the frame was simply not there. No sign of the bolt shearing, the bolt was not found on the road thus we were unable to inspect it. My question is this, is the mechanic responsible? Please don't misunderstand this is not a litigious situation so much as it is a quest to find a reliable VW shop for my friend. My feeling is that at the very least the mechanic was negligent in not checking all mounts to the frame after dropping the engine and remounting it. The mechanics response was that he did not service the transmission just the engine and therefore had no reason to adjust this bolt. What do my fellow listees think? How about you professional's out there? Thank you very much for your opinions. David Higginbotham 82 Westfalia Raleigh, NC