Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 May 1999 10:44:49 -0700
From:         Björn Ratjen <bratjen@DIRECT.CA>
Subject:      Is lifting a Westie bed really this simple?

Lifting the bed is simple if you are transporting only children on the back seat. The headroom in a regular Westy is limited already. Raising the bench in sitting position is compounding the problem. There are hinges available which raise the bed in sleeping position only. I have them installed. This is the way to go. You have about 13cms (8 inches) above the engine compartment and can mount engines whichever way you choose.

Björn

David Marshall wrote:

>Why hasn't anyone ever lifted their bed on their Westfalia? It doesn't >look that hard to do. Looking at how the seat is fastened in it is quite >simple - or am I missing something. > >To lift the rear seat up two inches would require some 2x4" pieces of wood >to go on the floor to raise the bench part up. The "L" brackets on the >bench that are bolted to the floor would need longer bolts and they could >go through the 2x4s for added stability. The rear heater would stay where >it is - bolted on the floor. This would leave a 2" gap on the top of the >vent leaving the first real "cosmetic" problem. The next problem to >overcome would be the two metal brackets on the engine hump. A 2x2" piece >of metal tubing would make this a quick fix. The last problem would be how >the rear of the seat would rest when in the reclined position. I think the >simplest way to eliminate this problem would be some 2x4" pieces of wood >and some plywood - creating a false floor that could be packed with >insulation to reduce engine noise and heat or some storage compartments for >things like booster cables or other seldom used knickknacks. > >Is there anything that I am missing or is it really this "simple"?

Björn Ratjen, Ph.D. Mill Bay, B.C. phone/fax (250) 743-7575