Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 May 1999 17:55:05 EDT
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Need Advice on WB Piston replacement

Well it happens to the best of us. I have run into something that I have no experience on so I would love to have some input from the List on this one. Customer brought in '87 Wolfsburg Vanagon with no compression on number 3 cylinder. I thought it might be dropped valve seat as the motor had overheated at one point and I had seen this before with another customer's van. When I pulled the spark plug the electrode was bent and the gap was full of aluminum (welded shut). I figured that maybe a piece of valve had broken off and banged around in the combustion chamber. So I took the head off today. The surface had a million little dings in it and the valves were coated with aluminum. There were pieces of aluminum in the combustion chamber. Then I looked at the piston. It has a nice chunk out of it like someone took a bite out of it and the piston walls are majorly scored. I am pretty postive that the rings are totally stuck to the piston too. So now I am wondering what to do. 1. Replace piston, cylinder, rings and head. This is my first idea but I am concerned that aluminum shavings have gotten down into the crank case past the stuck rings and have already or possibly could do damage to the main bearings etc. 2. Tell customer to send this motor off to get it rebuilt or get a rebuilt to put in place of this one. 3. Rebuild the motor myself for the customer. I could do this but I am really too busy at the moment. So what do you folks think. Anyone experience a waterboxer with a broken piston before? This motor was a VW Factory Canadian rebuild with only 40k miles on it. Do you think the customer could try to get some money from VW? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Ken Wilford Van-Again John 3:16