Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 May 1999 11:05:09 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: (long)Re: Gerry is ill - suggestions for a server upgrade
Comments: To: Sudhir Desai <desa4622@KETTERING.EDU>

Our Prince George office used FreeBSD and LiNUX all the time and they (I) think it is great. Here's the catch, I have no time working two jobs, plug doing renovations on the house plus try to have any sort of a family life. I think you can see where this is leading too... I'm going to stick to what I can deal with and if someone else wants to make Gerry a LiNUX box, please send me your address!

At 02:09 22/05/1999 -0400, Sudhir Desai wrote: >i know this had been discussed previously in another thread about 4 or 5 >months ago i believe.... or whenever it was gerry moved from out west. > >some people had stated that wouldn't it be easier not to mention cheaper >if gerry was running a linux system with apache web-server. > >well for the past couple weeks i've been fooling around with linux 6.0 in >my spare time here at college, and it is awesome... >i used to have win 98 on my dell laptop, and it crashed all the time... >but now since switching to linux, the only problems it has are when it >starts to overheat from not having powersave turned on. > >the apache server works great also. > >oh yeah, just to say how great this linux/apache package is, this is the >system that hotmail.com(owned by microsoft) uses for their stuff.. they >tried to switch over to NT, but NT crashed cause of the massive server >traffic, that was going on 24/7.. there was no time to reboot the machine >every week or so.. so they switched back over to linux, and haven't had >any major problems since. i think that was one thing someone pointed out >last time this issue was discussed also. > >oh yeah, and if you are considering running linux, drop me a line, and i >can hook you up with the latest version of Red Hat linux as of now it is >Red Hat 6.0 > > >my e-mail address is : > >desa4622@kettering.edu > > > > oh well... my $.02 worth > > >Sudhir H. Desai 1984 VW Vanagon 3.4 liter Chevy V-6 >desa4622@kettering.edu sudhir_desai@geocities.com >ICQ# 17014903 & 8255956 http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1889 > >

-- David Marshall - Vanagon List Admin - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Caddy, 84 VW Westie, 85 VW Cabriolet -- -- 87 Audi 5000 Quattro, 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --