Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 May 1999 07:16:14 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tight Engine
Comments: To: "SSGSPEAR@AOL.COM" <SSGSPEAR@AOL.COM>

STOP CRANKING!!!

If your battery is fully charged, your connections are good, and your starter is okay, then something isn't right inside your rebuild, and needs to be straightened away before you wreck things.

When you adjusted the valves, was it "tight" then? What about after mounting the flywheel? After each of these, you should still have been able to rotate the motor 360 degrees without much effort (plugs out). With the plugs in, you should have been able to rotate it with a little intermittent strain as each cylinder comes to TDC.

If it is universally "tight" SOMETHING IS WRONG.

It could be something as simple as not having the crankshaft endplay adjusted correctly (not enough shims), or something as horrible as a piece of schmutz behind one of the main bearing saddles. "Tight" can't be caused by torquing the case too tightly. Sorry.

It is a fairly universal building practice to rotate the crank 360 degrees during each phase of mating the two case halves. On my first rebuild, I didn't do this, and had the same problem you do, except it wasn't tight, it was LOCKED. A dowel pin had come out of it's seat, and I squashed it into the bearing when I tightened the block.

In the grand scheme, no harm. Cost me a 2nd teardown, a new set of gaskets, and a new set of main bearings to set it right. Also started me on the path of my philosophy that it is always better to have good knowledge of the problem, and pay a competent expert to fix it... :)

Let us know what happens.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: Brad Spear [SMTP:SSGSPEAR@AOL.COM] Sent: Friday, May 21, 1999 11:16 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Tight Engine

Now that the list seems to be up again, for now, I need some help from the air-cooled people among us. This is about the '72 Westy that you always see under my name.

I finally, or as my wife would say, FINALLY!, got the engine in it last week. Between work and being Planning Committee Chairman of our Boy Scout Troop, 205 Apple Valley, MN, I have had other priorities with my time.

Well, like I said, I got it in but it turns over REAL slow. It didn't turn over all that fast when I didn't have the spark plugs in, but with them in it's REAL slow. The battery and starter are good, even put the starter/charger on it to help. It didn't.

Could I have over torqued the case? Suggestions?

I know this should be on the air-cooled list but I'm not on it any more. The account I was using for it didn't want to work for a while and I kind of got bumped. Too many returned messages.

Thanks for any help!

Brad Spear '72 Westy (Engine in, but.....) '87 Syncro GL