Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 May 1999 13:47:51 -0500
From:         Jim Fritz <jfritz@DECORAH.K12.IA.US>
Subject:      windshield washer

Volks,

Well, its June bug time here in Iowa and the usual disgusting mess on the windshield prompted me to try the windshield washer on our 89 Westy (got it last October so this was the first attempt). Fired it up and nada..... Figured, "must be out of fluid". Bought some Rainex at Wallyworld and poured it into the filler by the driver's feet. Within seconds it began pouring onto the parking lot. Damn! This morning I dropped the tank out to see what was broken. As it turns out nothing was broken but the rubber grommet between the filler tube and the tank is very loose. To use an Iowa colloquilism "like a saddle on a sow". This explains the leak. When I dumped all of the washer fluid from the PO I realized there was a fair amount of crud in the tank probably because of this loose fit. The rear washer works like a dream so I'm assuming its not a fuse. Not being proficient with a voltmeter I ask the following questions: Is it likely the the little pump on the tank was ruined by the crud? Any good suggestions for testing for other problems? Is there some other collar or something missing or has the grommet shrunk that much? Can the grommet be purchased seperately? How about the pump? How do you remove the pump without breaking it? (Its in a tight little indentation in the tank that makes turning it nearly impossible.) Any other help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Jim in Iowa 91 Passt Wagon GL 89 Westy 66 Beetle