Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 May 1999 18:18:40 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Engine swap conversion details are now online!
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@uvic.ca>

At 21:21 25/05/1999 -0700, you wrote: >David wrote regarding pre-heated air intake: > >>On the complete systems that I provide yes. However, I have designed it so >>you can buy as little or as much as you need. > >How is the ducting from the exhaust manifold area to the airbox routed? (I >am assuming the airbox is mounted on the righthand side of the engine >compartment).

Take a look at an Volkswagen Fox. Pretty much the same way. Air box on the driver side.

>And about fuel consumption : > >>>How was the 25 mpg (Imperial or US) mileage figure for a conversion >>>determined? Is this for an 1.8 or 2.0 litre engine? CIS or Motronic >>>management system? >>> >>>The "demo" vehicle (syncro doublecab) is claimed to have a steady 13 >>>litres/100 km fuel consumption - am I correct in estimating this to be 21.68 >>>mpg (Imp) / 18.12 mpg (US) ? >> >>2WD 2.0L with stock tire size. > > >So that's 25 mpg with a 2.0 litre engine (which one? Audi or late model VW? >Motronic or CIS?)

2.0L Audi [code 3A] with CIS fuel injection [no oxygen sensor] set at 2.0% CO [less than optimal for fuel economy, optimal for power] there is also a knock sensing ignition from a 86 Jetta GLI set to 12 BTDC [again power, not fuel economy]. The main systems that I will be packaging are CIS-E with O2 sensor. This will produce better fuel economy and get you legal in the emmisions department [for BC anyhow]. Timing can still be set to 12BTDC as this gives you 5 to 6 more hp without sacrificing bottom end torque.

>And about the muffler position: > >>>Is the muffler mounted in the same position as the stock wasserboxer? >> >>Pretty close to the same position - only tucked up a little more. > >Any heat shielding above the muffler?

Currently - no, in the works- yes. > >Alistair

-- David Marshall - Vanagon List Admin - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Caddy, 84 VW Westie, 85 VW Cabriolet -- -- 87 Audi 5000 Quattro, 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --