Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 May 1999 12:41:14 +0200
From:         "Dr. Rainer Woitok" <woitok@RRZE.UNI-ERLANGEN.DE>
Subject:      Re: I need left door power window mechanism
Comments: To: Sorin Bejenaru <CaliforniaCampers@COMPUSERVE.COM>

Sorin and others,

On Thu, 1999-05-27 02:08:31 -0400, Sorin Bejenaru wrote:

> Anyone has a left door power window mechanism or knows some junk yard that > may have one? My window opens only about two inches.

May well be an alignment problem. Remove the panel in the driver's door, but don't yet unplug the wires from the power windows switch. Then turn the ignition key to the "run" position and lower the window just about half an inch, so the two screws attaching the lower edge of the window to the transport mechanism are easily reachable (there's a hole in the sheet metal of the door for getting at one of these screws). Switch off ignition and unplug the various wires on the switches in the door panel, so you can completely remove the panel. Loosen, but don't remove these two screws at the lower edge of the window. Then again plug in the power window switch, turn on ignition and roll the window down. If it now rolls down rather smoothly, roll it up and down a few times until you are satisfied, then roll it up until one of the two screws again aligns with the hole. Tighten screws, check operability of window, repeat process if not yet satisfied, else re-mount door panel.

If this doesn't work for you, you may have a mechanical problem in the gearbox attached directly to the power window motor. After removing the whole power window assembly from inside the door this gearbox can be opened (and later closed again :-) without a problem (about half a dozen screws).

I hope this helps.

Sincerely Rainer

'89 Caravelle GL Syncro 16"

---------------------------------------------------------------------- | Rainer M Woitok | Phone: (+49-9131) 85-27811,-27031 | | Regionales Rechenzentrum | | | Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet | Fax : (+49-9131) 30 29 41 | | Martens-Strasse 1 | Telex: d 629 755 tf erl | | D-91058 Erlangen | | | Germany | Mail: Woitok@RRZE.Uni-Erlangen.DE | ----------------------------------------------------------------------