Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 May 1999 06:26:02 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Huston we have a problem
Comments: To: Kate McLaughlin <KateMacMac@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>

Kate-

While I have not had to shop around for this myself, the cost he is quoting is WAAAAAAAYYYY high. The tranny cost isn't so bad, I seem to recall a couple of our dear list vendors selling their remanufactured trannies at $2,500.

What is REDICULOUS is the $2,500 in labor!!! Even at $60 an hour this comes out to more than forty hours enough time to mine the minerals, smelt the ore, cast and forge the pieces, and make a new transmission from scratch.

If removing and replacing a Vanagon Tranny were an Olympic event, you could see times of 15-17 minutes for a two man team (with lots o' practice). I reality, it shouldn't take more than a couple hours.

Run screaming from that shop!!!!

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: Kate McLaughlin [SMTP:KateMacMac@WORLDNET.ATT.NET] Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 1999 10:16 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Huston we have a problem

I was driving home yesterday, and all was well. I was taking it easy in 3rd. As traffic moved on I attempted to shift to 4th, but my VW didn't want to shift. She liked 3rd so much, she decided to stay there. This morning I had my sick Vanagon towed to a place that "only works on VW's". Well I mechanic wanted to put in a new transmission. I asked him for a quote. He told me he called the dealer, and it would be $3,000 for the trans and $2,500 for the work. In the past I have have had the engine rebuilt. The trans was fine until last night, not a pop, grind, or leak. So here I am no VW. I'm leery about putting in a new trans. The mechanic said that it would be easier and cost less if we popped in a new one, maybe easier for him, not for me $$$. Has anyone ever had this happen to their Vanagon? The mechanics haven't opened her yet. They put her on the lift and that was it. I have heard that there were some problems with the gears breaking in the model. It's an 86. My poor Stella. I miss her already!