Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 May 1999 12:06:49 EDT
From:         Todd Hill <Jwilli941@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stella's enamoured with 3rd gear

KateMacMac@WORLDNET.ATT.NET writes:

<<....I was taking it easy in 3rd. As traffic moved on I attempted to shift to 4th, but my VW didn't want to shift. She liked 3rd so much, she decided to stay there. >>

Hello,

While you usually get some sort of advance notice of upcoming failure, this sounds like a cracked 3rd/4th gear clutch hub. The last Syncro trans I did the owner only stated that it was difficult to engage 3rd once the trans was 'warmed' up. After opening the case up the 3rd/4th hub rim fell out into my hands. Stella's problem might be similar in that the hub cracked and shifted thus jamming the 3rd/4th slider onto 3rd gear.

Rebuilt transaxles run the gauntlet from $750 (how dey do dat?) to well over $2200 for VW remans. 99% of my customers don't ask for them but you might want to consider getting the replaced parts back. Or at least, if possible, take a look at the innards once the transaxle is disassembled.

Don't be afraid to ask questions!!

The best way to determine if the shop is on the up-and-up is by doing just that. Take a list of questions in with you and write down the answers given. If asked why you are doing so tell them that you have a friend who is a professional VW mechanic and that they wanted to know just what was going to be done. A reputable shop will be more than willing to walk you through each step and answer any and all questions to the point where you are satisfied.

Good Luck!

-Todd Hill VolksWerks Transaxles Olympia, WA 360-412-0948