Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 May 1999 12:42:30 -0400
From:         David Beierl <synergx@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: mushy brake pedal
Comments: To: rob passehl <rpassehl@HOTMAIL.COM>

At 09:24 5/27/99 -0700, rob passehl wrote: >just how sponge like should the brakes be in my 87 westy.

Not.

> i recently >purchased it, so i checked my brakes because the pedal seemed to depress too >far. the front pads look good. couldn't get the rear drums off due to some >previous over zealous impact wrench work. i still bled all the lines. it >helped a little but the pedal still seems soft. any suggestions appreciated. >oh, what size is the rear axle nut so i can pull the drums? thanks in >advance.

Rob, slow down a bit here. You've just gotten a fairly exotic beast and your assumptions are already getting you in trouble. That (46mm) axle nut does not need to be removed to get the drums off. It does not even need to be removed to replace brake parts, although it is easier to work on the brakes with the hub removed. The nut is tight because VW wants it tight. The specified torque on that nut is *369* lb-ft (500 nm). Have it looser and risk ruining the splines on your hub.

After you remove the little m6 bolt(s?) the drums *should* fall off. But they often get rusty around the inside and stick tight. Liquid wrench and tapping tend to help. Check the archives from a few months ago for a considerable discussion on getting drums off...

Bus Depot sells Haynes manuals for the Vanagon, as well as the official Bentley book. Personally I recommend having both, but the Bentley is around $75. They also sell stamped wrenches that you can beat on with a hammer to remove the hub nut if you really need to. But read the book first, esp. precautions for moving the van if the nut is removed.

good luck david

David Beierl - dbeierl@ibm.net