Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 May 1999 16:01:10 -0400
From:         Dianne L Gigler <dlg+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU>
Subject:      Battery Problem/Questions

I own a 1987 Vaganon GL with the Westfalia conversion. I am the third owner and have owned it for just under two years. It appears that the battery is on its way out and I have no idea how old it is. My only clue is that the battery is not sealed, i.e., water can be added by removing two plastic covers which expose the cells and this tells me (rightly or wrongly) it is old.

I have experienced the same problem twice in a two week period. I left work and the car started fine. I made a stop and shut the engine, lights, and radio off and the van started fine after I returned in about 5 to 10 minutes. I made another ten minute stop and the van would not start. Everything had been shut off again. After a jump, it started and I returned home where I connected the battery to a charger and did a slow charge overnight and had no problems until last night when the scenerio above replayed itself.

Do I need a new battery and how can I determine if the battery is the sole source of the problem? If I do need a new battery, what is the best brand to purchase and what is a good/reasonable price for it? Also can I expect to be able to install it (given my limited mechanical apptitude) or should I pay the installation fee?

Thanks in advance for any and all speedy replies as my friend is getting of tired of providing road service.

Dianne 1957 Mercedes 220S (not running and for sale) 1974 Super Beetle (not running) 1987 Vanagon GL Westfalia 1989 Jetta GL (in the repair shop)