Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 May 1999 16:21:20 PDT
From:         Lance LeBaron <lebarle@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      coolant pipe rust out

Fellow lurkers may recall I was planning to replace a coolant hose to address a fairly large leak where the hose attached to one of the pipes which run all the way forward to the radiator.

The hose arrived and I began disassembly. The first four inches of one of the pipes was rusted through in several spots. It appears to have started on the outside and worked in. What a mess!

I cut off the first four inches and found some straight 1 1/4" radiator hose and a 3" x 1 1/4 galvanized pipe nipple. I intend to join the factory hose to the straight hose using the pipe nipple and two hose clamps. I will apply liberal amounts of anti sieze to ward off corrosion. I intend to run the 1 1/4 straight radiator hose onto the cut off end of the installed pipe about 3 inches and attach with two hose clamps. The extra hose clamp and excessive overlap is intended to compensate for the fact that the cut off pipe does not have the ridge on it to keep the hose from sliding off. I will use liberal amounts of anti seize to seal and prevent corrosion. The installed pipes look good otherwise. The corrosion started under a stainless steel hose clamp around both pipes coincident with the spot where the coolant lines exit the engine compartment through a hole in the flashing. I may have to enlarge the hole in the flashing since the hose is larger diameter than the pipe.

Any suggestions to keep the rest of my pipe from rusting through? Is there a plastic alternative to the galvanized pipe nipple? How about using a brass nipple?

Lance LeBaron Windham CT 82 Rabbit diesel 84 Vanagon