Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 May 1999 11:18:50 -0700
From:         Steve Macaulay <smacaulay@INFINTIUM.COM>
Subject:      Re: window gaskets
Comments: To: Jim Fritz <jfritz@DECORAH.K12.IA.US>

Hi Jim,

I've done some of this recently with my 89 westy. Got the parts from Ron at Bus Depot. What I replaced more or less just popped in. I replaced the top window channel and bottom outside window channel. The biggest problem I had was assuming that the part was the correct size. It was actually larger and needed to be cut down some. I didn't have a proper cutting tool and I ended up crushing the aluminum on the inside of the window channel seal at the end I cut. When I straighten it out the best I could I found that the piece was now about 1/2 inch to short. I put it on anyway. The parts weren't cheap but Ron definitely had the best prices (dealer prices were much higher) . I paid $40 each for two top window channels (go on top from edge of flip-out window to back of top and then down back side to bottom of window) and $20 each for the outside window piece (bottom outside of window from flip-out window to bottom back of window and then up back side window a few inches to where it connects to the top window channel seal). $120 from Bus Depot for all pieces for both windows. This price doesn't include anything around the small flip-out windows or the bottom inner seals. Install was pretty easy other than the cutting error I had. Just pull the old pieces out and push the new pieces in. Top window channel piece comes as a straight piece that you bend around the corners as you install it. After you put it on and figure out the correct length, take it off and cut it with something like a hacksaw and be careful not to bend the aluminum inside. The mistake I made was using some tin-snips to cut the end off and not removing it completely to do the cutting. This ended up crushing the aluminum. The bottom outside piece was already pre-curved and required no bending.

When getting the parts, it helps to have a Bentley to discribe them to the Bus Depot guy. If you have this manual, it has a page on it that has a good picture of the door and it has the offical part names of the various pieces. There are different part numbers for the outside and inside bottom window seal depending on the vehicle. I have an 89 westy also and I know they had the correct part for it. Their web site had all of the pieces I needed listed on it somewhere as well as the offical part numbers.

You could save some $$$ if you could find a generic seal from somewhere like J.C. Whitney that would work or if you could get these off of a parts or junk van somewhere. Otherwise, Bus Depot will definitely save you some money over a dealer. Their prices were about 2/3 of the dealer price when I checked a couple of months ago.

Hope this helps,

Steve

89 Westy