Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 May 1999 07:32:46 -0700
From:         Tom Young <young@SHERLOCK.SIMS.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject:      Re: '81 Westy, fuel pump won't work.... why do I bother...
Comments: To: Bob Norman <B.Norman@THEZONE.NET>

On Wed, 26 May 1999, Bob Norman wrote:

> I have a problem. The fuel pump on my '81 automatic has stopped > working. When I run a wire from the battery to it, it works, so there > is nothing wrong with the pump itself. When I turn on the key, I do not > hear the pump running at all. The vehicle will start for a second or > so, then die. I suspect it is runnning on the cold start valve only.

When you turn the key to "Run" (without starting the engine) you should not hear the pump running. When you turn the key to "Start" the pump is powered through the starter and one half of the double relay. When the engine in running and the key is turned to "Run" the pump is powered through the AFM and the other half of the double relay.

First, check that the electrical plug into the AFM is properly attached; you may have jiggled it loose or forgot to re-attach it.

If that's OK, then put the key in the "Run" position (engine not running) and put a jumper wire between the two appropriate terminals (I think it's 36 and 39, but check) and the pump should start up. If it does the double relay is OK and the problem is in the AFM. If the pump doesn't start up the problem most likely is in the double relay.

> So, is there a relay for the pump as Haynes would lead me to believe? > If so, where is it? Is this likely to be the problem?

The double relay is that smallish (3-4" x 1-2") silver box with two large plugs going into it that is mounted on the front left firewall above thedecel valve.

> Could it be a > problem with the ignition switch? Is there a fuse for the pump > somewhere?

It could also be an ignition switch failure.