Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 May 1999 21:51:32 -0400
From:         David Beierl <synergx@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Bus Depot Trailer Hitch
Comments: cc: Ron Salmon / Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>

I just finished putting in the Bus Depot Monster Trailer Hitch on my '84 Westy. I'm very satisfied with it. There are a few points, though, that I thought worth mentioning.

First, someone has suggested that the hitch mounting (which replaces the original bumper mounts) is not as sturdy as the originals. I don't think this is true. The original mounts are of rectangular tubing and have two very heavy bolts attaching them to the frame tube. The hitch, instead, has a solid strap which is much longer than the originals, extending past a third hole in the frame which is not used by the original setup. It uses three somewhat lighter bolts. I think it is about equal to the original. Note that the towing eyes are part of the original bumper mounts, and are lost. Of course on my previous hitch they were occupied by the hitch mounting bolts....

Second, Michael Sullivan reported sloppy alignment on one of his bumper brackets. My brackets were fine but I found that two of the six pockets which capture the nuts for mounting to the frame were misaligned. One was passable but I had to remove the other one by grinding off the spot-welds and reweld it to the strap. A minor nuisance that would have been worse if I hadn't had welding gear. When I was mounting it to the frame I kinda wished I'd fixed the marginal pocket, but it finally went in ok.

Third, there is no provision for safety chains. I solved this by welding a large (2 1/4") muffler clamp to the bottom of the ball mounting plate. My torch (#5 tip) had to really struggle to heat that big plate to welding temps, but we got there eventually. Arc welding would have probably been easier, but gas equipment is what I've got. Note that the mounting plate has two sets of holes in it for the ball. If the ball were mounted to the upper set, the lower would be available for bolting on something for the chains. So you don't really need to weld, assuming everything is lined up properly. I don't see how you would fix the nut-keepers without welding. No, I take it back. You could tap a small hole in the strap and bolt something on. Big nuisance though.

Fourth, the bumper brackets (metal bumper) have slots in them for mounting the bumper. Unfortunately the slots are just about one bolt-width too far apart on each side. So I extended the holes in the bumper, and also the pockets in the rubber strip that accommodate the bolt head. Dremel tools are really nice...

Finally, the bumper ends up at least a couple of inches astern of where it was before, and either raised or lowered a little, depending on which way you orient the brackets. I thought it was better in the low position. This leaves the license-plate door hinges in plain view, as well as giving a generally better look at the sheet metal back there. Doesn't bother me any. And the extra clearance means you can crumple the bumper-end a little more before it hits the sheet metal. HOWEVER -- this also means that the bumper end caps no longer match the holes in the side sheet metal, so they have to be attached firmly to the bumper instead. I think this is better engineering than attaching it to the sheet metal, and the PO of my bumper had already carriage-bolted the ends to the bumper (thanks, Paul). He did it for the same reason that it's a good idea -- someone had tapped the bumper and torn out the mounting holes in the sheet metal.

BTW, I've now had the chance to handle an OEM and an (unknown) aftermarket bumper at the same time. The aftermarket bumper was already relieved on the bottom where the hitch passes, which was nice. But is also was only about 2/3 the gauge of the original.

david

David Beierl - dbeierl@ibm.net