Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 May 1999 10:03:28 -0700
From:         Mike Catlin <mjcatlin@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon 1.9 oil pan bell housing clearance???
Comments: To: "Paul A. Cianciolo" <paulc@SNET.NET>

There should be no clearance. My Bentley says, "CAUTION Oil pan must be flush with end face of engine block. If it protrudes or there is a gap, clutch housing will be stressed and could break."

It also says:

Oil pan, installing (engine installed) --align oil pan to engine block with straightedge --tighten bolts

(engine removed) --start all bolts including those in clutch housing --press oil pan by hand against clutch housing so that there is no gap between oil pan and clutch housing --lightly tighten all bolts --fully tighten all bolts M6 to 10 Nm (7 ft lb) M10 to 45 Nm (33 ft lb)