Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 May 1999 10:44:09 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      fridge and other doors

Coincindent with Mr. Bulley's musings on replacing the door seal on his Dometic fridge, I was depriving my family of my presence by trying to make the fridge and other doors in my '82 westy work a bit better.

First the fridge, I removed the door (you all know that the door lifts up off the hinge pins, don't you? It may stick a bit, give it a bunt from below with your hand. Same with the other cabinet doors), then I removed the plywood fascia piece from the front of the fridge (three screws, covered by flimsy plastic buttons). The fascia has the fixed pin portion of the hinge which is held on to the plywood by screws driven into the "edgegrain" of the plywood. Even the most optimistic engineer at Westfalia can't have imagined these screws holding for very long, and mine were allowing the hinge to move slightly (this little amount of movement at the hinge translates with a fair amount of movement out by the latch).

The screws were stripped in their holes (surprise!), so i removed them and the hinge. I "pinched" the hinge a bit in a vise to cause it to grab the plywood more firmly (have a look and you'll see what i mean) and I applied a drop or two of polyurethane woodworking glue to each screwhole in the plywood. The idea was to "harden" the screw holes, and give something for the screw to bite into. One could use epoxy, I didn't feel like mixing a batch just for the small amount needed. Then I pushed the hinges back on the plywood (they were tight) and replaced the screws. I did the same thinge with the screws that held the latch plate onto the fascia aswell as bending the latch back into its stock position (been mangled by years of door shutting abuse). One of the hinge pins appeared bent, so i starightened it out. I set the plywood fascia aside and went on to the fridge door proper.

The corresponding parts of the hinge are let into a slot on the edge of the door and held in place by pop rivets, two per hinge. Only the topmost rivet of the topmost hinge was visible, pulling back the door seal partially exposed the rest.

Mmmm, what to do? --- when in doubt, whip it out!

So I started to try and remove the door seal and I soon discovered that the bugger was stapled between the door liner (the molded plastic shelves), and the door itself. I stopped for a minute and examined the door further, and realised just exacltly how the door is assembled.

The door proper is made of plywood and is similar to every other cabinet door. The door liner (that neatly holds bottles of beer etc.) is made from plastic (polystyrene? maybe!) and vacuum molded to shape, with a 1/2" flange around the edge. This flange sits flat on the door. The door seal has a profile that allows a portion of it to slip under the door flange, and the liner with seal is stapled to the door. Then, through a hole in the bottom of the liner, some foam is injected (2 part, pour in place then expand) as insulation.

I went ahead and removed all the staples from the flange and removed the liner. The flange was very brittle and much of it broke off. When all the staples were out, the liner came right off, exposing the hard foam.

Now I could get at all of the pop rivets that held the hinges on the door, rmember them?

I drilled out the rivets, being carefull not to drill though the hinge, and used some "short buit thick" pan head screws (belive it or not, from an assortment of screws bought from Ikea), to hold those hinges tight.

I trimmed the liner flange off, scuffed up the foam and applied more of the polyurethane glue, spreading it out with a plastic squeegee. I then placed the liner back on the door, taped it in place and held it down with weights. One of the characteristics of the polyurethane glue is that is foams a bit upon curing, and it can force apart the pieces you are glueing together unless firmly clamped/held in position.

After the glue had cured I remounted the seal, sticking it straight onto the door with some Shoe-Goo, just a small amount, I want to be able to replace the seal later.

I reinstalled the whole shebang back into the van, and yes, the door works flawlessly! Shuts firmly yet easily, tightly sealed all around its edge.

At the same time I worked on the cabinet doors, gluing and screwing as I did on the fridge door. I also cut some foam bumpers from a strip of self-adhesive, closed cell black weatherstripping (approx 9mm wide by 4mm thick) and stuck them on the doors (and drawer) where the stock open cell foam bumpers once were. I had removed what was left of stock bumpers a couple of years back and had tried little hemispherical polyurethane bumpers, but they were just too firm. The weatherstripping foam works perfectly, having the right amount of "cush" to allow the door to close but not rattle.

A drop of oil on each hinge pin and i was finished. My cabinet doors now close so easly, with a satisfying "thunck". No more struggling with the latch or having the door swing open by itself!

I really recommend this bit of restoration .

Alistair