Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 May 1999 19:18:14 -0700
From:         Stephen Overmyer <s.overmyer@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      re.Living with cracked heads.

At 01:19 PM 31/05/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Subject: living with cracked heads > >Well it turns out I didn't actually have a leaking head nut--there's a small >crack in the head just under the head nut that is weeping coolant. After >driving, I can see a telltale blue line where the crack is but if I wipe it >clean I can't see the crack at all. > >So I'm wondering if I can continue to nurse this along for a while until I >decide whether to get new heads, get a new engine, or do a 5-cyl conversion. >Am I risking a catastrophic failure here? I have had a similar crack in the >opposite head that I've been living with for the past two years. Neither >crack leaks enough coolant to even cause a drip, it all pretty much >evaporates before dripping. I might have to add a few ounces of coolant >every few months, that's it. > >I'd appreciate any informed opinions here. I've got a 3000 mile trip coming >up in three weeks and I sure don't want to have to do any major work before >departing.

I'd have to agree with Eric.Postpone the trip or fix the head.I had one head go from the slightest weep of coolant to a near catastrophic fail very quickly.Luckily it was only on a short 30km round trip but the leak was only noticed by me after my wife put the van in the garage and coolant was immediately all over the floor.A longer journey could have been very expensive.

This is only my experience and I know others have gone for some time with a weeping head but...personally I'd never risk it after what nearly happened to us.

I briefly toyed with the idea of replacing only the leaking head but thought better of it and did both.Fortunately I did as the other one had small but noticable cracks in it too and would have started leaking soon especially as that side would have been the weak link with the other side fixed. At least the head studs were all fine thanks to regular coolant changes.

Just my opinion,YMMV.

Cheers, Steve O. Blue Mountains,NSW Aust. '92 Transporter WBX '76 Crew Cab '68 Beetle Deluxe