Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 May 1999 09:46:37 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: need engine options for '82 diesel Vanagon
Comments: To: Jim Snyder <jsnyder@DAVIS.COM>

I would consider installing a 2.0L inline Audi or VW engine. This isn't V6 power, but it is keeping your VW a VW! You could install a VR6 or an Audi 1.8L Turbo but this would blow your 2K budget [but it would be a lot of fun!]

This would be quite a simple swap as you already have all the mounting hardware and exhaust system.

I typically sell complete [engine, fuel injection, ignition] 2.0L Audi 80 engines for about $1500 to $1700 CAD depending on the condition they are in. I very sure you can pull off the same sort of deal locally too.

This will make your project significantly less then 2K US!

At 09:10 29/05/1999 -0700, Jim Snyder wrote: >Hi > >Having put up with my excellent running '82 diesel Vanagon for about 4 >months now, I am now about ready to explore other engine options. I am >tiring of numerous finger gestures and people passing me in double lined >roads. People in California seem to be in such a hurry with little patience >for following a diesel Vanagon going a little under the speed limit. I don't >drive over 65 mph. > >What is the most economical non VW engine replacement considering fuel >mileage, cost for the swap, and reliability? I hate to admit this, but I am >leaning toward a V-6 GM engine. Second choice would be a small Ford V-6. >Rebuilt GM units around here are about $800 average, about half that of a >rebuilt 1.9 diesel. This may average out about the same considering new >engine mounting/adapters and other things I haven't thought of yet. > >I am a true VW fan having owned 30 in various models and years and would >ordinarily never consider such a swap. However, I truly love the ride and >handling of my Vanagon and need reliable power especially for travelling in >the mountains. I would gladly give up a few mpg for more power. My wife >likes to call me Tim when I bring this up. I would gladly put in a TDI >engine as in my new Jetta but this could be over $4000 by the time I finish. >I would like to spend about $2000 total. > >What other things do I need to consider with a swap such as this? What >issues regarding clutch/transmission modifications need to be addressed? Has >anyone done a similar swap and can report success in the long term? > >Many thanks in advance! > >Jim > >

-- David Marshall - Vanagon List Admin - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Caddy, 84 VW Westie, 85 VW Cabriolet -- -- 87 Audi 5000 Quattro, 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --