Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 May 1999 14:27:01 -0600
From:         Larry Hamm <ldhamm@XMISSION.COM>
Subject:      Re: need engine options for '82 diesel Vanagon
Comments: To: Jim Snyder <jsnyder@DAVIS.COM>

Jim Snyder wrote: > > Hi > > Having put up with my excellent running '82 diesel Vanagon for about 4 > months now, I am now about ready to explore other engine options.

Jim, I've done two V6 conversions (Buick), one in a '78 Westy, the other in an '80 brand "X" camper. The Vanagon required a deck height adjustment, the 'loaf wanted a big hole cut in the nose for a radiator. While the V6's were OK, my current VW is an '82 diesel Westy that I converted to a Jetta 1.8L. All thing considered, that's what I'd recommend: an inline Volks 4 of your choice. The next engine going in mine will be the 2L A3 Audi from the late '80's. These (I4's) engines are the most reliable in the inventory and very cheap and simple to swap. I left the diesel trans in and added 15" tires and wound up with a Westy that cruises comfortably at 75 mph and returns 20mpg. The 2L will give me a bit more hill climbing oomph in the back country. If you really want more power, check out a 5cyl Audi conversion. Just for reference: My Jetta engine was a low mileage VWoC rebuilt I found at Pick 'n Pull, $200 complete. Audi turbo 15" wheels from the same yard were $20 each plus $10 each for machining and $20 for longer rear studs. A new clutch kit from Bus Depot was ?? $150 or so. Total cost for the swap was <$500. YMMV. Larry