Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Jun 1999 02:03:13 -0700
From:         Coby Smolens <cobys@WELL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Running hot

> Hello, > > I've bled the system in my '85 Vanagon GL a couple times and it's > still running kind of hot. The gauge stays around the white zone when > cruising in town, but when I hit the highway (50-60 mph) it always > stays around a bit above the red light in the middle. Is this too hot?

> After driving on the highway, if I open the engine compartment, the > coolant reservoir is about half full of air. I open the top to let the > air out without letter any water escape. Does this help getting air > out of the system and if I keep doing this will it correct itself?

Sounds very like Vanagon head disease. Always, in our shop, the very first thing in cases like this: Check for HC in the coolant. An exhaust gas sniffer into the overflow reservoir usually does the trick if the thing hasn't been opened since the last hard drive, otherwise you might need to suck out some coolant from the main system (just enough to ensure an air pocket at the top of the main reservoir) and go drive the thing up a steep hill (heavy loading helps to show up leaky head gaskets or cracked heads). Then back to the shop and sniff at the top of the main tank. Alternately, you can get a chemical test at your neighborhood NAPA parts store. In this test you suck air(NOT liquid)from the top of the main tank through a chemical solution which changes color in the presence of HC. ANY HC at all noticeable above background count (as little as 10ppm) is a sure sign of the need to reseal heads.

Of course, the coolant/water ratio is OK, right? 50/50 or so? With too little coolant you might be getting boiling going on, which is a possible source of vapor in the system. Checking the actual temperature of the engine and comparing it with the radiator is also a good idea. Is the radiator temperature fairly uniform from top to bottom and from one side to the other, and is in the same ball park with the engine temperature? If the engine is running around 200f, the radiator might be near 195 at the inlet and 175 at the outlet, with temperature changing gradually across the face of the radiator, rather than suddenly dropping from hot to cool(indicating blockage for example)...

You may not be equipped to carry out his kind of testing yourself, but you might artfully suggest some of these ideas at your local repair shop...

Good luck!

Coby Smolens, Owner Valley Wagonworks VW Bus and Vanagon Repair 1535 Sir Francis Drake Blvd. San Anselmo, CA 94960 415 457-5628 www.wagonworks.com