Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Jun 1999 10:03:27 -0400
From:         "Fitz-Randolph, Douglas" <dfrandolph@TALKAM.NET>
Subject:      Gas mileage, fueling problem, propane pressure
Comments: To: mwilliamson@ABCH2O.COM, bpchristensen@MINDSPRING.COM,
          drillock@earthlink.net

Mark A. Williamson/Re: Gas mileage wrote: <<I have averaged about 25 mpg in summer and about 20 mpg in winter. Difference has been due to oxygenated fuels we use in the Denver area in winter. At best, my bus gets about 29 mpg, at worst 18 mpg.>>

OK... maybe my '90 syncro is running a little rich, but I just broke the 20 mpg mark for the first time after installing my new MXT tires. Generally averages 17-19 around town. With studded snow tires in winter, averaged 15-18 mpg. I could never dream of averaging 25! The original EPA/VW estimates were all sub-20mpg... Which makes me wonder if we're comparing apples to apples here - perhaps we're all running different tire sizes and basing our mpg figures on incorrect odometer data?

Brent Christensen/Re: 86 fueling problem wrote: << When the tanks reaches about 3/4 full, the pump nozzle starts acting like the tank is full. I don't get splash-back, but the only way I can get the tank completely full is to turn the nozzle 1/4 turn counter-clockwise and gently squeeze in the last 4 gallons or so by hand. It has done this the last two times I have refueled.>>

I've got the same issue with my '90 Syncro. Here's my procedure: Insert the nozzle fully and set pump lever at the first notch (highest flow). The pump stops a few gallons short of full. Pull the nozzle out so it is just far enough in to stay in on it's own, then set the pump lever at the last notch (lowest flow) and let it run until it shuts off. (It has not overflowed to date) The tank is about as full as it's going to get at this point - as in the gas gauge needle floats happily in the black space above the full mark. Of course, if your gas station has removed the little notches from the pump handle, you'll have to do this manually. My gas station patronage is actually wholly based on the fact that the Mobil station I go to is about the only one around that hasn't removed the little notches - so I can wash the windows, get coffee or even (gasp) just put both hands in my pockets w-h-i-l-e filling my tank. I don't know if this notch removal is widespread, but it ought to be stopped! Sorry - getting off the subject here.

RE: Checking propane pressure: Last week, Mark Drillock described a procedure for testing propane regulator pressure. The Dometic fridge standard is 11 inches of water column pressure (WCP). I'm in the process of "camperizing" my '90 syncro - I haven't installed the tank yet, but tested the regulator using the method described by hooking the regulator up to my BBQ propane tank. WCP measured only 5 inches! (No, there were not any leaks). I turned the adjusting screw on the regulator and increased the WCP to 9 inches, but I didn't want to go any further - it seemed as if I shouldn't have to screw the adjusting screw so far in - it still turned freely, but it didn't look like it could go much further and I didn't want to risk breaking anything. Has anyone else tried this test with similar (or different) results? I unfortunately sold my textbooks after my chemistry and physics classes (parents - advise your kids against doing that!!), but I think the amount of water in the tube and the diameter of the tube should be irrelevant here, yes? And even if I do get the pressure right, will I have problems getting a 19 year old westy propane tank filled? TIA for any advice!

Doug Fitz-Randolph Yarmouth, ME dfrandolph@talkam.net '90 Syncro (sorry about HTML - this is a global setting on our network and I have no way to shut it off!)

[text/html]