Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jun 1999 03:52:31 -0700
From:         Coby Smolens <cobys@WELL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help! irratic idling while wet

Hi Paul,

The power steering is connected to the idle stabilizer control unit which lives in front of the right hand taillight assembly. The kind of problem you describe could well be related to the idle stabilizer and/or its control unit. When the AC or PS is operated at idle the stabilizer system is supposed to kick in, boosting the idle speed just enough to keep it stable (hence the name). If the wires that go to the PS pump were disconnected, I would expect the idle to take a dive every time the steering wheel was turned. It's very possible for the idle stabilizer system to start having on-again/off-again weird behavior problems and its alleged disappearance might be a coincidence. We'll hope not, as both main parts of this system, the stabilizer and the control unit, are rather pricey ($250 ea, more or less). Wiring in the system should of course be checked before parts are replaced, then if possible known good bits substituted for the suspect ones for testing. Oh, yes - first thing - make sure the idle speed is set correctly. If someone set the idle speed while the PS wires were disconnected it's possible they compensated in a way that now needs to be corrected since those wires are back in the loop. Good luck!

Coby Smolens, Owner Valley Wagonworks VW Bus and Vanagon Repair 1535 Sir Francis Drake Blvd. San Anselmo, CA 94960 415 457-5628 http://wagonworks.com