Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jun 1999 03:52:39 -0700
From:         Coby Smolens <cobys@WELL.COM>
Subject:      Re: bogging/stumblin after long descents

You might check the idle switch on the throttle - it should give either infinite resistance or 0 (I can't remember which right now - I plead lateness) with the throttle closed. Its job is to tell the engine when the throttle is closed and if the rpm are above a certain preset limit the computer cuts the fuel completely (by letting the injectors remain closed) and doesn't start it flowing again until the rpm comes within idle range. Could be the thing is flooding and hence reluctant to take off again at the bottom of the hill. 'Course you did say no black smoke, but have you looked for that, and would you see it travelling at a goodly clip? Usually it takes someone else watching from behind to spot it. And the smoke would clear as soon as the engine was off idle for a few seconds...

Coby Smolens, Owner Valley Wagonworks VW Bus and Vanagon Repair 1535 Sir Francis Drake Blvd. San Anselmo, CA 94960 415 457-5628 http://wagonworks.com