Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jun 1999 09:37:19 -0400
From:         David Beierl <synergx@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Bus Depot Poptop seals

Just finished putting on the poptop and luggage rack seals from Bus Depot. Worked great and looks dandy. A few points:

1) The seal across the top (actually comes from West Coast Metric) does not have tension clips. Could be glued on but I left it as a friction fit, seems fine. If need be I'll glue it on later. The other two seals have stiff aluminum tension clips that have enough spring to be removed and replaced without a problem.

2) The original poptop seal is welded into a single piece and has relief for the corners built in. The new one -- and for a quarter the price I don't mind a bit -- is just two lengths of uniform extrusion. I mitered the corners of both seals where they meet at the front corner of the poptop, and filled in with black RTV silicone, looks almost original. Aviation snips for the bottom seal, razor blade for the top. The tubular foam inner seal is crimped by the sharp bend around the rear "horns" of the top, but I haven't done anything with it (yet?). Cutting out some little triangular gores would get rid of the excess material and make a custom fit, but it seals fine without that. The potential issue is that I suspect the foam will perish at the crimps b/c of the continued stress. But that shouldn't bother the effectiveness, more a matter of elegance. A few minutes with a razor blade and some weatherstrip cement should cure my angst <g>.

3) I think I may seal shut the open ends of the tubular inner seal at the forward corners. I could imagine water sneaking in there and lurking.

4) I WISH I'D DONE THIS -- The forward corners of the top are relieved slightly for about three inches along the bottom edge. I pressed the seal firmly up into this relief and cut the top seal to match. However the resulting appearance was slightly odd, so I pulled the bottom seal down to make a uniform line. Now of course the top seal is just a trifle too short. A bit of RTV filled in the gap, but I wish I had that quarter-inch back. Of course only I will ever know.

5) There were a couple of pounds of rubbish inside my luggage rack. Leaves, twigs, small acorns -- anything that could get through the drain holes. Didn't seem to be doing any actual harm, but what a mess. Also the edge of the luggage rack had chafed the paint in several areas and started little rust spots which were hidden under the edge seal. Actually it's not a seal at all, just edge trim. If God forbid it ever *did* seal the luggage rack would fill up with water until it spilled out the back.

6) The rack is held onto the roof brackets with lovely unobtrusive streamlined M6 screws. Unfortunately the screwdriver slot was low on their list when designing these screws. Only one of them was stuck...daddy, why is that man standing on the front of his car and swearing? I replaced them with ugly nasty obvious high-drag hex-head M6 bolts with big washers. I *will* be able to get this sucker off when I want to. And I'll have to right eftsoon, to take care of that rust.

cheers david David Beierl - dbeierl@ibm.net