Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Jun 1999 13:56:48 -0500
From:         Darrell Boehler <midwesty@MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: coolant pressure gauge

Hi David, jc whitney does indeed have turbo gauges. They may provide the means needed to check for a vacuum or pressure. Your system should have very little vacuum before it pulls coolant from the over flow tank. The idea of a coolant pressure gauge is to indicate the coolant system is properly pressurized. If there is coolant pressure the wasser boxer has no leaks or at least nothing of much concern. Unless however your pressure goes up in a hurry to 15 psi before warm up you most likely have a blown cylinder / head gasket (the internal one). In the past I have used an electric oil pressure gauge with senders for oil, fuel, and coolant. The senders go to a switch where I can select the desired system for viewing on a single gauge. The oil and fuel work well but coolant at 0- 15 psi is not measured very accurately with a 0 -100 psi sender. The gauge would move slightly when coolant was checked. I would prefer using an electric sender and the single pressure gauge but could not find a sender I liked for the low pressures of the cooling system. Digikey.com has some low pressure senders but it appears to me a bit of electronics would be needed to put them into use. Maybe an addition / optional feature for the digitool. On the vanagon the temperature gauge and the fan speed tell you when you are running at 100 percent cooling capacity. With the temp gauge is at 3/4 and the fan is on high you have it all. Time to slow down a bit and turn off the ac. I run both oil pressure and oil temperature on my 78 westy and they are redundant. If the oil pressure gauge is falling a bit the temperature will be rising. It is however good to know exactly what the status is. I am going to need a bigger gauge pod. I saw jc whitney now has an exhaust pressure gauge. Maybe a 2.5 inch high panel from the instrument pod to the above the glove box would allow some room for expansion. Maybe some cup holders in the top. Darrell

----- Original Message ----- From: David Beierl <synergx@IBM.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, June 04, 1999 9:39 AM Subject: Re: coolant pressure gauge