Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Jun 1999 13:52:40 -0700
From:         Brent Christensen <bpchristensen@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: '87 syncro for 20k. Is this normal? (longish)

Ladies & Gents:

Remember, we are talking CALIFORNIA here. $20k for a VERY CLEAN Syncro Westy is not that unusual. I recently saw an '89 with 25,000 original miles go for $27,000! I live in Santa Barbara, CA, and there are probably more Vanagons here per capita than anywhere in the US or Canada. (I can walk to the end of my driveway, look down the street and see four of them within two blocks in either direction, not counting mine). While shopping for my Syncro, I looked at a LOT of Westies, both 2WD and 4WD, and NEVER ONCE did I see one worth considering that was less than $12,000 for a 2WD. Now, granted, I am picky about condition - I don't want one that has been fiddled with or jerry-rigged (my apologies to anyone named "Jerry").

The last Westy (2WD) that I looked at before buying mine was an '86 automatic, non-GL, with a filthy interior, and it had been rolled and repainted. It had 68,000 miles, was leaking like a sieve, had water for coolant, and the guy was asking $12,500. He sold it two days after I looked at it.

Maybe we are all crazy here in California, but this collective craziness results in blessedly high resale values. (Just ask me about my 1400 sq. foot house some time...) :-) Good if you are an owner, terrible until you *become* an owner.

All in all, $20k for a pristine-looking '87 Syncro Westy that has been dealer-prepped and gone through by a *reputable* dealer, is a tad on the high side, but fair. (Dealers always charge a premium - we all know that). $16,000 to $18,000 would not be unexpected if it was being sold privately.

Anyone who doubts me should check www.classifieds2000.com. Here is a sample for today (Syncro Westy only): BTW - The guys in Reno are known for doing a really nice job of prepping their Westies before selling them.

VW Westfalia Syn. 90 117K $22,500 775-323-4943 RENO NV CA VW Westfalia 4X4 90 117K $22,500 775-323-4943 RENO,NV. CA VW Westfalia syn. 87 72K $18,000 530-265-0388 Nevada C. CA

My $0.02 worth...

Brent Christensen '89 Syncro Westy "Klaus" '95 Cherokee Sport

----- Original Message ----- From: paul banks <paulbanks@NLLFAN.COM> Sent: Friday, June 04, 1999 9:40 AM Subject: Re: '87 syncro for 20k. Is this normal?