Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Jun 1999 23:31:32 -0600
From:         Gary Shea <shea@GTSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Repack manual rack?
Comments: To: Patrick Foltz <Pfunky@AOL.COM>

Hi Patrick --

I recently replaced both of the, ah hell I don't know what you call them, anyway the ball-joint + arm things that attach to the ends of the rack. Of course it made getting the rack out pretty easy, and so I jammed some grease in there, working from the two ends of the rack. I ran the rack all the way to the end of its travel, put grease on the rack, and ran it down the other direction. The rack is pretty much an empty pipe with some linear gearing off on one side of it, and I don't know if spewing grease into that boot is going to get grease onto the rack gear. I can't say it won't, but it isn't obvious to me that it will, either. I don't know what disassembly there is to do to the thing, it's pretty simple...

I hope that's vaguely useful.

Gary

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Patrick Foltz wrote: > I have to replace the manual rack on my '80 vanagon, and luckily found a good > one at a junk yard in the area. I am wondering if anyone has experience > repacking a rack, hopefully without or with minor disassembly. It looks as > though the best bet is to force grease in under the rubber boot at the input > shaft, but would appreciate any input. Thanks, Patrick >

----------------------------------------------------------------- Gary Shea shea@xmission.com Salt Lake City http://www.xmission.com/~shea