Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Jun 1999 18:12:37 -0700
From:         Brent Christensen <bpchristensen@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Changing Brake Fluid
Comments: To: Shawn Wright <swright@MAIL.SLS.BC.CA>

An addendum to that story - I just did the same thing on Saturday. The entire process took me about 30 minutes. Here's why:

I have this VERY nifty toy called Gunson's Eezi Bleed from a company in the UK. I originally bought it from Moss Motors in goleta, CA for my Austin Healey years ago, but it works great on the VW master cylinders as well. It is basically a plastic pressure vessel that you fill with brake fluid. It has a clear tube coming out of the top which you fit to a hole in the appropriate sized master cylinder cap (it comes with an assortment of caps and gaskets - VW is included). You screw the cap in place of the normal cap, then attach another tube coming from the vessel to your front driver's side tire, after airing it down to 20 psi or so. (or you can use a spare tire - I happen to have an air compressor, so refilling is easy). Bicycle tires don't have enough volume, BTW.

Once the gizmo is attached to the MC and the tire, you just go and crank open the bleeder screws one at a time until the are completely flushed out. On a Syncro, you don't even have to lift the car to easily get under there. If you have big bubbles in the system, you still need to push the pedal a couple of times, since that generate a lot more pressure than the Eezi Bleed.

I think I paid about $20 for the Eezi Bleed 10 years ago. It sure makes the process of changing the fluids REALLY easy.

Brent Christensen '89 Syncro Westy "Klaus" '95 Cherokee Sport

----- Original Message ----- From: Shawn Wright <swright@MAIL.SLS.BC.CA> Sent: Sunday, June 06, 1999 10:55 AM Subject: Changing Brake Fluid