Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Jun 1999 08:42:48 -0700
From:         Mark Kazman <mark_kazman@RADIXTEK.COM>
Subject:      Tapping sound

Thanks to all on mail list for their input on my stuck lifter problem. This week-end I tried the advice of some members to drive it around for 10 miles of so to see if it loosens up. It didn't, so since I am not completely sure if its the lifter or not I immediately dropped it off at a local VW mechanic. It ran fine, no decrease in performance since before the tapping sound, but I am still not sure if its the lifter or not. I talked to the mechanic about the oil change he did a week ago, and he put in castrol GTX 20w40 and a new mahle/mann oil filter, so I guess using a heavier weight oil did not help it. He said that if it is a lifter that it really not a good idea to replace it, and that its a labor intensive job. When he said that I could see dollar signs start adding up. If the cost is prohibitive and it is the lifter, I will try the next list suggestion and try marvel mystery oil in the oil. Can anyone tell me how you go about locating what lifter it is that's the problem? Can I run the engine with the valve cover off? Any help here is a benefit because I have never done this before, but I'm willing to dive right in a save my engine. One list member laid out a basic procedure on how to replace the lifter, but right now I would like to know how to locate the faulty part without taking the whole engine apart. Does anyone on the list have a Bentley for a 81 vanagon they would like to sell cheap? Thanks to all who have offered suggestion's.

Mark Kazman