Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Jun 1999 11:54:31 -0500
From:         William Wedenoja <waw105f@MAIL.SMSU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: A/C compressor question - noise
Comments: To: Rubatoguy <Rubatoguy@MINDSPRING.COM>

I also had my a/c checked out by an auto air shop. Zero freon. They filled it up and it works well. Couldn't find any leaks. Put a die in the system, and after three weeks no sign of leak. They did note that the compressor was noisy. A loud whine. Can't hear it up front, unless I roll down the window. Took it to a VW mechanic, and he said the compressor clutch was going out and that I should replace it (before I take off on a 7000 mile trip). So I ordered a new one from the Bus Depot while they're still available and relatively cheap.

Incidentally, I decided to convert to R-134a since I was replacing the compressor and receiver-drier. Called the auto air shop to see if they'd buy the R-12 back. In addition to saying no, they said I'd be sorry. They've had a lot of customers return and want to convert back to r-12. Saying that the r-134 cooling is inadequate (down here in southern Missouri it is seriously hot and humid for four months a year). I called my Saab mechanic for a second opinion and he said don't do it, keep the r-12.

Also, I have discovered that the a/c in the westie (which blows out above the rear seat only) will cool the front better if all the front vents are closed. Apparently, the outside air blowing in the front keeps the cool air from making it all the way to the front.

Bill Wedenoja new '88 westie GL owner former '77 westie owner waw105f@mail.smsu.edu

-----Original Message----- From: Rubatoguy <Rubatoguy@MINDSPRING.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Sunday, June 06, 1999 3:08 PM Subject: A/C compressor question - noise