Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Jun 1999 16:31:05 -0500
From:         William Wedenoja <waw105f@MAIL.SMSU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: TIRES:  Light Truck 195 75 R 14  Good or bad idea?
Comments: To: Chris Cochella <cochella@XMISSION.COM>

I just bought new tires. And before I did I did a lot of research. Read the postings on several sites. Looked at manufacturers sites. Talked to tire dealers. And customer service reps for manufacturers. I decided to buy 195/75 R14 Yokohamas (Load Range D/8-ply) because everyone seems to rave about them. But TireRack said they were out of stock for 6-8 weeks, so I went with plan B: 195/75 R14 Michelin LTX (Load Range C/6-ply). They seem perfectly fine. Made a 2200 miles trip on them already. They handled well, were quiet, sure-footed, and smooth riding. They have the same circumference as the VW-prescribed 185/80R14 or the 205/70 R!4 so the business about "additional height" sounds like a lot of hooey. Some manufacturer's sites actually list the 195/75R14 as an alternative size for the Vanagon. It's right between the two sizes recommended by VW.

Bill Wedenoja former '77 westie owner new '88 westie owner waw105f@mail.smsu.edu

-----Original Message----- From: Chris Cochella <cochella@XMISSION.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Monday, June 07, 1999 4:10 PM Subject: TIRES: Light Truck 195 75 R 14 Good or bad idea?