Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Jun 1999 18:51:04 -0400
From:         "Paul A. Cianciolo" <paulc@SNET.NET>
Subject:      1.9TD is in the Vanagon or... How I spent my Saturday
Comments: To: diesel@vwfans.com

Well Folks

The 1.9TD is now nicely nestled into the 1982 Vanagon. This a couple of lines of how I did it. I had a number of suggestion on how to put the engine in the Vanagon. I took a slightly different approach and i worked well for me. I had absolutely no help form any other person. Other list members may be in similar situation.

1) The motor was assembled with the tranmission and tranny mount attached. I used a rolling work bench to assemble the motor on and it worked well. I could get to different parts of the engine by using various blocks of wood to hold the engine in place.

2) A bolt through the center member of the garage made a convenient place to pick up the motor tranny combo. As it needed to lifted several times while the rolling work bench was pressed into some other service.

3)The completed motor/tranny(less turbo and exhaust system is lowered onto a "stoneboat" My stoneboat consist of a piece of 1/2" plywood covered with a piece of carpeting to soften the ride. The motor of course it aimed at the back of the Vangagon with the tranny going under the first. It is also positioned a few feet behind the Vanagon.

4) The Vanagon is jacked up enough to sit on jack stands that will allow clearance for the motor /tranny to fit comfortable underneath it

5)A steel cable or rope is sent under the Vanagon from the front to rear and attached to the stone boat. Using my GE Electrac E20(All electric tractor using 6 golf cart batteries, capable of mowing 2 acres on a single charge) or any other suitable pulling device. slowly pull the motor under the vehicle. Now the motor is resting under the Vanagon close to where it be in the final stage of insertion.

6) Lower the Vanagon down on top of the motor. Being careful not to have any part of the van hit the motor on the way down.

7) Find some 2" x 12" boards or suitable material and bridge some of the gap of the engine lid opening. Now take the same jack stands that were used to hold up the Vanagon and put them on the part of the engine lid opening you have bridged. I used an oak 2" x 4" to cross the tops of the 2 jack stands. This is where I attached my "come along". Using the same lift point that was used previously to lift the engine up onto the rolling bench, it was easy to lift the engine into position. When it was close to the correct location, I installed 1 of that of the engine cradles. Then by pushing the motor a little it could easily be located over the mounting hole.

Using this method it took only a few hours to install the engine with 1 person. Other benifits. No need to balance the engine on a jack, or put it on a jack for that matter. There was no jack in the way to inhibit the work area under the van. The engine was easy to move or swing into position. All easy to acquire parts... I am cheap and did not have to buy or rent anything

Thanks all for listening I may have missed something along the line here. Also pardon the grammar and writing.

Thank you

Paulc W1VLF Cloudbounce Webpage http://www.qsl.net/w1vlf/

1986 Vanagon Gas 1982 Vanagon Diesel Soon to be Turbo Diesel 1.9