Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Jun 1999 19:55:46 -0600
From:         Carl Hansen <carl_hansen@IEEE.ORG>
Subject:      shocks, Syncro, longish
Comments: To: jeff_gilbert@PEOPLESOFT.COM

HERE's ALL WE KNOW so far.

Ch

**************** * BILSTEIN Roughly $900 for the set. $312.50 for fronts, each. Rear's off the shelf revalved to something close to Udo's specification.

These are a special set ordered at great trial and trouble by a small group of Listee's. I think we're all nuts, but then I do like Bilsteins. At this point in time, NO MORE WILL BE BUILT. Or so says Bilstein. Who knows. Maybe we can get the off-road shop to pick up where Udo at Bilstein left off. BUT, DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH.

* KONI Cost $650

TIME. Koni has not done this before, and will need at least one iteration to "get it right". This will take a vehicle in the vacinity for Koni to see/try, and some time to do it. Any other method of determining if the valving is correct, such as here they are, let us know - is not in my mind, a valid check of the effort, and I would expect Koni to insist on availability of a vehicle to try the valving out on.

Koni did offer to do the same jobn as Bilstein. Price approximae, we did not follow up on the option. Would be one off customs, but then once theyare done and set up correctly, who knows.

* Boge "N's" $650, special order from Peter Seikel in Germany, 10 year old technology. Seikel seems to think highly of them. ummmmmm..... - May be some issues with shipping and customs. I think the duty, if applied, is minimal. I tried to look it up once.

MAY BE DIFFICULT to get, or at least, possibly some money in customs, and not cheap in any event.

* Old Man Emu. Cost $450

They say they are the best off road, but that's advertizing meant for the LTR series with remote oil reservoirs and 2x to 3x more in cost.

They are available NOW.

Mark Drillock ?in LA? put the first set on, said they worked well.

* projektzwo (built by Bilstein special order for projektzwo at some time in the past?), pricy, unknown what this is, but seems likely to be street, projektzwo tends to be street oriented.

AGAIN, SPECIAL ORDER from Europe. Customs, cost, time.

* Stock Boge "C's" under $400 if ordered from list vendors, 10 year old technology. ugghhhhh. I've not heard any good reports about them.

* MONROE Europe, South Africa.

Reported by at least two listee's to be an excellent shock. (One in Europe, one in South Africa.) It is a European FLAP heavy Duty alternate to the stock Boge "C's". NOT available thru Monroe, here in the states, hence all cautions about customs duties, delays, etc. apply.

***************************************************************** Ch

'89 SyncroBeast Vanagon - Soon to come - New Shocks for the Syncro! '87 16V GTI '80 850 Yamaha Special '87 16V GTI w/ hale damage - parting out - body gone, parts remain '89 16V GTI w/ toasted motor '86 Scirocco (8 valve w/ auto) - SO's - now w/ it's own hale damage

Prior Lake, MinneSnowta - umm, ok, summers coming

[text/enriched]

Ch

****************

These are a special set ordered at great trial and trouble by a small group of Listee's. I think we're all nuts, but then I do like Bilsteins. At this point in time, NO MORE WILL BE BUILT. Or so says Bilstein. Who knows. Maybe we can get the off-road shop to pick up where Udo at Bilstein left off. BUT, DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH.

</bold>TIME. Koni has not done this before, and will need at least one iteration to "get it right". This will take a vehicle in the vacinity for Koni to see/try, and some time to do it. Any other method of determining if the valving is correct, such as here they are, let us know - is not in my mind, a valid check of the effort, and I would expect Koni to insist on availability of a vehicle to try the valving out on.

Koni did offer to do the same jobn as Bilstein. Price approximae, we did not follow up on the option. Would be one off customs, but then once theyare done and set up correctly, who knows.

MAY BE DIFFICULT to get, or at least, possibly some money in customs, and not cheap in any event.

</bold>They say they are the best off road, but that's advertizing meant for the LTR series with remote oil reservoirs and 2x to 3x more in cost.

They are available NOW.

Mark Drillock ?in LA? put the first set on, said they worked well.

AGAIN, SPECIAL ORDER from Europe. Customs, cost, time.

Reported by at least two listee's to be an excellent shock. (One in Europe, one in South Africa.) It is a European FLAP heavy Duty alternate to the stock Boge "C's". NOT available thru Monroe, here in the states, hence all cautions about customs duties, delays, etc. apply.

Ch

'89 SyncroBeast Vanagon - Soon to come - New Shocks for the Syncro!

'87 16V GTI

'80 850 Yamaha Special

'87 16V GTI w/ hale damage - parting out - body gone, parts remain

'89 16V GTI w/ toasted motor

'86 Scirocco (8 valve w/ auto) - SO's - now w/ it's own hale damage

Prior Lake, MinneSnowta - umm, ok, summers coming</fontfamily>