Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Jun 1999 22:10:29 -0700
From:         "Tom L. Neal" <jneal@NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Dripping A/C (fwd)

So with Steve's clue, I checked the left a/c tube (after a couple of wet spots appeared in boxes in the back) and it was clogged. Clipped it off. Then just for kicks squirted a little water up the tube and it came back down. Then squirted water up the other tube and watched it come back down. Then squirted a lot of water up one side and watched it come out the other side. Really crazy thing to do, flushing the evaporator housing from one side to the other. Condense at will. Regards, Tom Neal '87 syncro

> From: Rubatoguy@MINDSPRING.COM (Rubatoguy) > > I have an '88 Westy that I noticed drops of water dripping off the > bottom of the cabinet where the rear speakers are. This was coming home > from the beach. (Went from a cool humid environment to a hot dry area)

I've had the same problem, except the drops were more of a stream, and it was happening whenever I turned on the A/C.

> Is this normal? Could it be something other than the drain hoses being > clogged?

Clogged drain hoses are probably part or all of the problem. They tend to clog at the ends, where an odd little flap valve is supposed to let water out, while keeping air from flowing back in when the van is moving (which could keep the water from draining). Those valves don't work very well, and they clog easily. As a compromise, I took one off (on one side of the van), and left the other on. That way, I figured at least one would always flow. The drain tubes are located behind the window-level plastic vents at the back of the van.

In my case, the cause of the frequent clogs was that pretty much every bit of weatherstripping inside the evaporator housing was wet and disintegrating, as was the foam "blanket" (I suppose it's a filter) that surrounds the evaporator. There was thus an almost inexhaustable source of sludge. Eventually, the air conditioner began blowing bits of black foam out the vents whenever I turned it on. I couldn't find a shop that wasn't scared to take down the evaporator housing, so I eventually did it myself. I cleaned everything out, put in new weather stripping, and modified the vent housing for better airflow. The A/C is now a lot quiter, cools the van better, and doesn't drip water. Big job, though. The report I posted to the list last summer is available at http://members.aol.com/ssittservl/Westfalia.

-Steven Sittser