Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jun 1999 01:11:31 -0400
From:         Caston/Payne <cdcaston@NNI.COM>
Subject:      Re: More stalling troubles (long)

BTDT, sorry you are too. When it's good, it's great. When it's bad, it's not so great.

Per Bently (in no particular order):

Check your fuel pressure regulator for correct values Check the Hall unit Check the fuel injectors for correct fogging pattern (as opposed to straight streaming) Check/replace your Coolant Temp sensor II Do the "pin checks" for the ignition module Do the rest of the "pin checks" for the wiring harness itself Clean all the grounds Hope for sanity's sake its one of the above.

If all else fails, procure a used ECU and swap it out. You don't want to hear this but...from your #2 it sounds like you may be running on default settings with the ECU not functioning at all.

OR

Run a bottle of Tecron with 93 premium gas first to see if it helps at all, you never know but don't get your hopes up. Then again, it could be possesed.

Luego,

>Hi Volks, > >I have an 87 Syncro Westie (digifant) that has been giving me hell lately >with stalling/power issues. I've read through the archives about the >dreaded 'Vanagon Syndrom' and am aware of the auxilliary wiring harness >(PN 025906302) for the AFM that is supposed to remedy similar situations. >I ordered the harness about 10 days ago from the dealer (it took a while to >get here cause of some other special order stuff) and it turns out they >gave me the wrong part. > >So while I wait for the correct part, I wanted to post out my symptoms to >you all and see if I could get some further feedback as to what other >conditions might be causing my poor performance. Heres the history: > >1. About a year ago I was having stalling problems that ended up in a >blown catalytic converter. Upon installation of a new Cat, the problems >went away entirely for over a year. > >2. Last November I had stalling problems at altitude that seemed to clear >up by disconnecting/reconnecting the O2 sensor. On the way out of the >mountains, I would stall again (completely) and reconnect the 02. The van >would go for a ways, then stall, and I would redisconnect the 02 and be on >my way. Once I got down to sea level all was fine. > >3. I had a complete tune up with all new parts, filters etc in December. >Mechanic said O2 sensor was 'lazy' and he 'cleaned' it and said that it >was ok now. Also installed brand new AFM. > >4. Mechanic Installed new engine in March. > >5. Noticed power began to lag a bit on hills..this got worse and I started >to experience the jerking etc that happened two years ago (see #1 above). >Soon it became difficult to keep highway speeds (55 top) and any grades >were a disaster. > >6. Catalytic blew again. I installed a new Cat and a new O2 sensor...so >now I have a new AFM, new Cat, new O2, new ENGINE, and recently new tune-up >parts. I still dont have the wiring harness as stated above. > >7. Van starts fine, drives ok till warmed up...but will have one RPM surge >just after starting. Once hot, it craps out. If I let it stall, it starts >right back up. > >8. Gas mileage is horrendous, about 6-8 miles per gallon. > >Any suggestions as to what might be causing this besides the wiring harness >for the AFM? Dont want to believe I need a new ECU, as new engine in march >and new tranny in December coupled with wedding in June are killing me >financialy. Could it be Hal unit? distributor? > >Thanks in advance. > >Jeff

Dave & Sherrie Allentown, PA soon to be VA zzzzzzzzzz__ |E[__] [__]|[_]\\ | _DC&SP | _ || * * * =-( )---------( )--=

This note contains 100% recycled electrons