Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:50:31 -0600
From:         "Groff, Montgomery" <Montgomery.Groff@ECHOSTAR.COM>
Subject:      Re: CB antenna and Paulchen Rack

I mounted an (dual-band) antenna for my amateur radio on top of my '89 camper with excellent results. I bought a piece of steel that is approx 8 x 8 in and drilled 4 holes in it to match up with the bolts holding the pop-top release lever. This serves a a sufficient ground plane when the pop-top is down and or up. I the drilled a small hole in the top next to the steel plate to route the cable into the van. I do use a handheld radio, so I keep a roll of cable behind the drivers seat. This allows me to use the radio in the front or back of the camper.

The only drawback to this system is the VSWR gets worse when the top is raised (you lose contact with the body). With my setup it goes from 1:1.5 to 1:4 (approx). That's not really that bad, and I usually don't do much transmitting when I'm parked anyway. Also, don't forget the extra cable necessary (about 3 ft.) to raise the top.

Another alternative I played with is a trunk\hatchback\raingutter mount attached to the back door. It swivels so you can mount it at about any angle. There are 2 models that I found and have used both. Ham Radio Outlet http://www.hamradio.com/ carries the Diamond Antennas model K300C or K300KM and MFJ http://www.mfjenterprises.com/ has the MFJ-345 or MFJ-340. You don't need to drill any holes with this type mount. The cable can be routed through the door or the air intake. Also, you don't have to worry about raising the top. I had very good results with this method also, I just preferred to have the antenna mounted on top.

BTW, how many list members are HAMs??

Monty Groff KC0CNU '89 Vanagon GL Camper '62 Type I Sunroof