Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jun 1999 23:34:43 -0400
From:         "Horace K. Sawyer" <firestream@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Update at 11:  evaporator dust/clog

Good evening ladies and gentlemen, here is the top story for tonight.

On the unfolding events of the dust clogged evaporator,

the back side of the unit was cleaned with a vacuum. The dust was so embedded in the cooling fins that it had to be scraped out carefully with a whisk broom and sucked out by the shop vac brush attachment. That removed all visible obstructions,

Checking the A/C afterwards, I performed the non-scientific test of letting the engine idle in the driveway with unit on. The outside temp was about 88 to 90 degrees. The unit had previously under the same conditions in the driveway blown about 80 degrees sitting there at idle. Of course, the compressor wasnt turning enough for that baby to get going well. AFTER the cleaning, it appeared to drop down about 3 degrees. Not much difference. But I suspect when I am rolling down the highway, that will translate into a 6 to 10 degree difference.

INTERESTING SIGHTING: I finally located the elusive receiver/drier. Right above the left rear tire in the wheel well. Thank you, Robert Bentley. Then I checked the receiver drier sight glass with the a/c running and noticed it looks rusty and some bubbles, hard to say how much.

I wonder if I have a leak, or is the rust color an anti-leak additive.

I am convinced I need to get a new receiver/drier for starters, then have the system flushed and add new gas. R-12 is in there now Im pretty sure. I just bought this van a couple of months ago. No records on a conversion.

Recent list traffic on a product called "Freeze 12" is interesting by Ken Wilford. Its supposed to be a better replacement for R-134a? Ken Wilford said its 80% R-134a and the rest is something else, and its non propane based. Sounds like a safer, better alternative. Supposed to be more reactive than R-134a and, may be one of the best things, supposedly you dont have to change the compressor oil, and dont have to change any seals! And it was like $6.00 a can. He used it in a Jetta and was very very happy. Does anyone else know about this Freeze 12?

I even thought about just adding a bit Freeze 12 and see what happens. : ) But maybe its not compatible with R-12, who knows.

Any thoughts from you experts would be greatly appreciated.

H K Sawyer Georgia

91 Westy

"My other car is a Rolls-Royce"