Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Jun 1999 09:58:43 -0700
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <Steve@SCHWENK-LAW.COM>
Subject:      Re: Springs

On the custom springs, the reason I am asking everyone to measure vehicle sag at each wheel loaded and unloaded is so we can get a snapshot of what everybody's needs are in terms of load and height requirements. I could just use my van and base everyone's specs off of that, but this will be more accurate and will allow finer "estimating" of final spring rate and in determing whether we get one, two or three different springs made. The engineers will make the call based on our data and our stated preferences. This method does not allow for differences in condition of existing springs...but the initial unloaded sag measurement will tip us off to that problem if unloaded sag on one vehicle is significantly more than on the rest. It should be real interesting to see the differences in sag among the 10 or so people I hope do the homework.

My apologies to Eric for using the word "ignorant" in my reply to his warning yesterday, but Eric's use of the word "victim" and the implication that i am some rich boy playing with unknowns and about to victimize unsuspecting listees was a little offensive. If you check some of the performance websites, you'll see that you can get custom springs for lots of VWs...even vanagons...but not syncros. They are one of the few components you can change at relatively low cost for instant performance improvement. steve

p.s. the company making the springs is http://www.bettsspring.com/coil/