Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Jun 1999 22:53:13 -0400
From:         Karl Mullendore <thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine Swap - what about TDI?
Comments: To: "Fitz-Randolph, Douglas" <dfrandolph@TALKAM.NET>

Several of us have already or are in the process of converting with the TDI. IMHO it is the best engine for the Vanagon conversions. Gobs of torque, fuel thrifty, and lasts (relatively) forever. The biggest drawback at present is finding a complete donor car for the engine and the many needed bits. This will change as more and more are sold, however. The other smaller problem is getting the diesel-specific Vanagon parts to install the inline engine in the proper VW 50 degree attitude. Ground clearance is not an issue at all. Diesel Vanagons of course are the easiest to convert, but all can be converted to diesel, even the Syncro, with the factory TD Syncro fuel tank and slightly different engine carriers. I have heard that Winkler offers a conversion kit, with most of the bits to make a TDI conversion a lot less time consuming than sorting everything out yourself.

Karl '87 Syncro Westy TD (to be TDI this month!)