Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:55:47 -0400
From:         "Karl F. Bloss" <bloss@ENTER.NET>
Subject:      luggage rack installation

Chris Turner and I just spent the afternoon installing a Westy luggage rack onto our '87 GL. Here are some pics:

http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/bev.html (near the bottom)

The first fun part was lining the brackets up so that we knew where to drill the holes into the roof. We put the brackets into the luggage rack, smeared the bottoms with some crayon, then placed the rack as it should. That way we had a good idea of where to put the brackets.

Next we taped the brackets on to the roof and did a few iterations of lifting the rack on, putting pencil marks on the brackets, lifting the rack off, moving the brackets, etc.

Once lined up, we drew pencil marks on the roof through the roof side holes of the bracket. We drilled the holes, being careful not to pierce the headliner, put sheet metal screws in, and siliconed any potential leak holes. Same for the other 3 brackets. Of course, I mistakenly put the front brackets on the sides and vice versa <grumble>. No matter...holes were the same (we had used the right brackets for the measurements), just more time.

Once the brackets were in place, we lifted the luggage rack on, loosely screwed the outside screws on, then drilled the holes for the rear screws. Squirted caulk in the rubber washers, then put the screws in and let some caulk squirt out and made a nice bead on the screws.

All in all, it was less of a hassle to install than I thought. It helps to have 2 people, of course, especially to lift the rack on and off all the time.

Tonight we do the first highway speed driving test to check for rattles and hums. I'll periodically recheck the sheet metal screws. If they don't appear to be holding well, plan B is to use the original bolts, which just means piercing the headliner in the front and sides.

Now to find some nifty bins that just fit in there perfectly... I saw them on Larry Johnson's van. :-) I already have one of those nets with the hooks on the sides from my motorcycle.

-Karl

Karl and Kristina Bloss, Trexlertown, PA '87 GL Weekender "Beverley" Mechanic list: http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/vwshops Busses by the Trail - Oct 15-17, 1999: http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/bbtt