Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:56:43 -0400
From:         paul banks <paulbanks@NLLFAN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Who has the real skinny on R-12?
Comments: To: "Steven X. Schwenk" <Steve@Schwenk-Law.com>

Steven,

You don't need a conspiracy to err. We have many instances in this century where the vast majority of "informed reputable scientists" agreed on theories that have since been rejected. For instance, the "right" way to treat people with severe mental conditions in the 1950's was to blast them with mega-doses of electricity. I'm sure that doctors who didn't see the sense of this at the time were told "well, it couldn't hurt!".

Seriously though, I support the reduction of all pollutants in our atmosphere, including freon. However, I reserve the right to question all authority, especially politicians and scientists. The former because it supports the basic freedoms we enjoy and the latter because it provides the backbone of scientific discovery.

Paul

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 14:43:06 -0700 "Steven X. Schwenk" <Steve@Schwenk-Law.com> wrote: > I know...and all this crap about the world being round, i don't believe that, either. We would all fall off! :~) sorry, couldn't resist. Ok...what's thew conspiracy, then? What possible motivation to buy off reputable scientists world wide? Sure, not everyone agrees...at least not yet.... too many monied interests for that to happen quickly >... but with the potential harm so great, does it not make sense to err on the side of caution until we know more? > >paul banks wrote: > >> I agree with much of what Ken says. I do not believe we have enough data throughout a long enough period to make these predictions. After all, there were large climatic swings in the past. Just look at the rise of Viking power about 1,000 years ago. The warm climate and high sea levels (and superior seacraft) greatly contributed to their success. >> >> Paul >> >> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 22:58:31 EDT KENWILFY@AOL.COM wrote: >> >After spending way too much time reading EPA material about holes in the >> >ozone layer, I got to wondering about a couple things. >> >First of all how does R-12 (Freon as it used to be called) get tens of >> >thousands of feet up into the Stratosphere when it is heavier than air (you >> >always check for leaks under the fittings on a car because the stuff sinks >> >instead of rising)? >> > >> >How does the EPA know that it takes over 100 years for R-12 to break down >> >when it has only been exsistence for a little over 70 years? >> > >> >How do we know for sure that the hole in the ozone is getting larger when we >> >have only been observing it for a relatively short time (50 years or less)? >> >Couldn't it be cyclic getting bigger over a couple hundred years and then >> >shrinking again over another couple hundred? >> > >> >Why is it taking so long to come up with a replacement for R-12 that is >> >satisfactory (EPA literature acknowledges that such a search is going on) >> >when it only took the folks who invented R-12 a couple of weeks to invent it >> >from scratch back in 1927? >> > >> >Why don't we all just forget about airconditioning and cut the tops >> >completely off of our vans and make them convert-a-vans and drive around with >> >the wind whipping through our finite number of hairs? (obligatory Vanagon >> >content). >> > >> >Just wondering... >> >Ken Wilford >> >Van-Again >> >John 3:16 >> > >> >> Signup for your FREE NLL FAN account at http://www.nllfan.com > >

Signup for your FREE NLL FAN account at http://www.nllfan.com