Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Jun 1999 18:37:56 -0500
From:         Rob & Lrae Winterkorn <volksman@ENTERACT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine Swap

Stuart MacMillan wrote:

> Good point, the grass is always greener! I have a feeling we can count > the conversions on one hand, and those with more than 50,000 miles on > them are probably nonexistent.

I put just under 100,000 miles in five years with my 84 seater with a 1.8 GTI.

> > > It might be cheaper than converting, and certainly easier, to have a > spare stock engine in the garage waiting to drop in if the one in use > fails. Little hassle, one or two days and you are back on the road. > Conversions sound appealing, but I too would like to hear from someone > who has put more than a few thousand miles on one.

The first signs of grief and that 2.1 in my 91 dog is gone! I have a 16 V GTI in my 85, gets 20 mpg, and runs great. Low end is equal to my 8V, top end is incredible, 60 to 80 mph in a blink. Unless a 16 V is had cheap, (mine was free) I would recommend the 5 cyl but have no experience on that.

Rob