Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Jun 1999 00:13:31 -0400
From:         David Beierl <synergx@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: 85 1.9 L Won't Start (Rebuilt Motor)
Comments: To: Bill Heidcamp <wheidcam@GAC.EDU>

At 22:43 6/11/99 -0500, Bill Heidcamp wrote: >Just rebuilt a motor (which ran beforehand) and engine will not >start. Getting good spark at all plugs with timing and valves set >according to Bentley manual. This seems counter intuitive. Place at TDC >and turn valve adjustment til it just touches the valves and then turn in >two complete turns. Seems like this is keeping the valves open!

See Boston Bob's web page for an article about lifter adjustment...I think it's http://www.bostonengine.com

> >There is gas at the T input junction from the fuel pump, but there doesn't >seem to be any at the injectors. Will pull injectors in the morning to >test, but they worked fine and have not been touched since pulling the >motor. Any ideas about wire connections, obvious fuel line (injector) >wires that I might have overlooked?

Well, if the injectors don't inject then the motor won't run. You need about 36 psi in the fuel manifold. The injectors should have voltage all the time, the ECU pulls them low (all at once) to inject. That circuit's not fused, incidentally, if you short it the harness will smoke instantly.

I should be more help here, I just had my motor out. But the injectors worked fine when it went back in. What didn't work was the fuel pump, forgot to reconnect the wire from the right injector harness over to the wire coming into the engine bay along with the vapor-recovery tubes. Of course if you have fuel pressure then that's not it.

> >Only known item not connected is the oxygen sensor. Does the oxygen sensor >interfer with the controller?

Nope.

regds david

David Beierl - dbeierl@ibm.net