Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Jun 1999 10:56:17 -0700
From:         Eric Brown <ebrown_subs@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: your opinion please - part 2
Comments: To: Darrell Boehler <midwesty@MIDWEST.NET>

Hi,

For those of you that have installed after market units, I'm just starting the process of installing a $95 Audiovox unit in an 87 Westy and have a few questions I was hoping you could help with...

Axle/magnets: Because I can't figure out how to tap into the Van's VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor), I am mounting a supplied magnet on the rear axle and a sensor which mounts on a bracket hanging down from the Van's frame. The convient location is about 10 inches out from where the axle connects to the engine. Any way I could do this better?

Servo: I'm mounting the servo unit in the top back right of the engine compartment and snaking the cable past the ?air filter?, through an existing hole in the body work just behind the air filter and then bending it around to meet the throttle cable and throttle on the top of the engine. The manual says no more than a 4 inch radius bend and I think I'm okay there. Any better suggestion as to where to mount the servo? I'm curious where other's mounted their units.

Brake wiring: It says I need to wire into the brake. At first, I thought I would just use the existing brake wire that's at the brake light, but apparently there are two wires for the brake. One is the wire I just talked about; it only goes to +12V when the brake is pressed. The other is supposed to be wired to the other side of the "brake switch". This is the side of the "brake switch" that is always connected to +12V. I think these two wires measure continuity rather then voltage, so now I'm not sure it is wise to not run these all the way forward to the front of the car. What have others done?

Ignition wiring: One other wire is supposed to be connect to +12V only when the car is turned on. I could get this from the radio I imagine as I've worked with that circuitry, but perhaps there is a better location? Perhaps one in the back of the car?

Control wiring: I've just got four wires to run forward. My only question here is how and where to feed these wires forward. Do I have to cut a hole in the front of the van somewhere to get these wires behind the dash? If so, where? If not, how do I sneak them in? Do I have to cover the wires in rubber or something to protect them as I run them forward? Where's the best place to locate the little square control thing?

Vacum: I'm going to try it without a reservoir at first. I'm hoping my 2.1L engine will help here. There's already a extra connection available on my engine that I can use. And based on my current plans for mounting the servo, it should be a short tube to the servo unit - though I will have to avoid the belts.

I'm going to be working on this in the next few days. I'm just hoping to save some time by understanding what other's have done. I'll be grateful for any tips you can give me. I installed one of those propex heaters last year and had a lot of fun learning all sorts of stuff. Hopefully I can get this one done a little quicker.

Thanks, Eric

----- Original Message ----- From: Darrell Boehler <midwesty@MIDWEST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 1999 9:13 AM Subject: Re: your opinion please - part 2