Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Jun 1999 22:10:30 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Who has the real skinny on R-12?
Comments: To: "KENWILFY@AOL.COM" <KENWILFY@AOL.COM>

I was on a business trip to DC, meeting with some EPA folks (really). Just got in.

Short form (cause I got a bunch to do):

Ozone in the upper atmosphere reflects most of the sun's harmful ultraviolet rays away from the delicate life (like you, me, and BOB). The ozone layer is naturally very thin. R-12, even in miniscule quantities (Like a couple molecules) sparks a chain reaction in the upper atmosphere that converts ozone (good stuff, when up there) into substances that are useless to protect the planet from ultraviolet light, and which continue to erode the ozone layer. It is complicated, and invisible to those on the ground, but it is happening.

Ozone arrives in the upper atmosphere a number of ways, some natural, and some manmade. Thunderstorms are a driver, mixing ground air high up into the atmosphere. Volcanoes do some of the work as well. Unfortunately, our beloved space launches are a tremendous source of ozone production and distribution to the upper atmosphere, but I understand that NASA is working on that.

R-134 I don't have the low-down on. IF it is a greenhouse gas, that is a gas that traps heat in the atmosphere), as purported, than we switched to the far lesser of two evils. It would take a LOT of R-134 to trap heat in the atmosphere, far more than I understand is ever to be used for any conceivable purpose.

Either way, a WARMER planet will drastically change life as we know it: (underwater London, beaches in Tennessee, deserts in the Midwest, etc.). Bummer.

A depletion in our ozone would pretty much END life here, as most life (that I can think of) dies in strong UV. Cancel delivery of the newspaper and the milk, you won't need, 'em.

Hope this helps.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: KENWILFY@AOL.COM [SMTP:KENWILFY@AOL.COM] Sent: Saturday, June 12, 1999 8:52 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Who has the real skinny on R-12?