Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Jun 1999 10:10:03 +0200
From:         Duclos Darie <Darie.Duclos@UNIFR.CH>
Subject:      Re: Body Seam Rust (long)

> Does anyone have successful experience treating this type of rust at the > seam? This doesn't seem like a good candidate for cut'n'patch.

Hi, we just spent part of the weekend fixing exactly what you describe. Obviously I can't tell you now what the long term success will be.. The worst on my bus was along the horizontal seam on the bottom of the driver side. It is extremely rusted from the inside. The horizontal metal plate at the floor level, behind the outter panel is completely rusted away. The panel around the seam was curling outwards. We cut out 3-6 cm total of the 2 panels around the seam, until we found healthy metal. This left a 1.20m long and 3-6 cm wide hole. We cleaned out as well as possible all the rust debris inside and sprayed rust-protection of the type which you can put directly *on* rust. We then covered up the hole with an epoxy/ fiberglass kit. Ideally we should have souldered in a piece of metal but we're not that well equipped nor knowledgeable. Since the fiberglass didn't come out perfectly smooth we filled in with epoxy containing glass fibers and ground it down smooth. We primered it because we had to stop working for the weekend and it might rain.

(From this point on we haven't done yet) We still have to fill more of the holes with the epoxy mix and grind and sand until it's smooth. Then we primer the whole thing a few times, sanding in between the layers, then we paint.

Question: can someone tell me if it's ok to just reapply epoxy mix now, over the primer? Or do we have to grind down the primer (which is just about impossible in the depressions which the epoxy is meant to fill)? Will the new epoxy layer stick to the primer?

As for the less serious damages, like under the doors and on the side behind the wheels, we ground away as much of the rust as we could see, then applied Noverox (a rust proofer). We're going to smooth out the depression this left with some body filling compound, then primer, paint, etc..

In my case the paint at the seams was bubbling, but not yet cracked (except the big damage on the driver side). In one place water even came out when we popped the paint bubbles. This means the water is getting in from behind. This is bad news of course because there isn't much you can do about this. We observed that the 2 metal panels are folded at 90 degrees where they meet so it's not a flat surface behind, where the water is coming in. You can't even seal it. I will try to put the bus away in a barn next winter and hope that our repairs last long enough so we don't just get sick of repairing the thing and give it up. In Switzerland the bi-annual vehicle inspection won't let you by with rust.. any rust.

Since there are a lot of little rust spots to fix on the bus, since they touch almost every panel, and since I never did like the brown colour of it, I'm planning to leave all the repairs with just primer until I'm done, then repaint the bus a new colour. (I still have to remove the 1970s-coloured damn stripes). Does someone (who has read this far) have recomendations against leaving the primer uncovered for a little while?

There's a pretty good manual for body repair at Canadian Tire. That's where I got mine 5 years ago anyway. :-)

Ciao!

Darie 1986 Westy